What does the Bible say about waiting on God? More specifically, how to wait on the Lord for a husband or wife? One of the most difficult things for Christian singles interested in dating and marriage is waiting on the Lord for that special soulmate. This is especially true as we see our single friends meet their dream date, get married, and move on. Loneliness and anxiety start to creep in as we wonder when God will bless us.
Although King David did not have Christian dating in mind when he had a chat with the Lord Psalms 13, many single people waiting for a mate can certainly identify with his feelings in verse 1: ” How long O Lord? Will you forget me forever?”
Waiting on God for a spouse But Struggling
Are you a single Christian girl or guy struggling with your faith in the area of “waiting on the Lord” for a husband or wife? Be encouraged and recall that David, whom God described as a man after His own heart, also struggled. Yet, it’s interesting that during the time he wrote Psalms 13, he also penned Psalms 62:1: “My soul waits in silence for God only.” If you read the rest of Psalms 62, you’ll see David could wait upon the Lord because he had a calm, confident expectation that God would do exactly what He promised: He would meet David’s needs.
Recently, I had a single woman come up to me quite confused over the Christian dating issue. Although she wanted so much to be married to a godly man, she was torn over whether using Christian dating services meant she was no longer waiting on God for His provision.
Waiting on God Questions
How about you? As a Christian single, are you confused about how you should approach Christian dating and waiting on God? If so, consider these questions to guide your actions and test your heart’s motives:
- Does God’s word preclude you from taking action toward entering a dating relationship?
- Have you done all that you could do in your particular situation? Remember, God wants us to take faith-filled risks as we ask, seek and knock (Matthew 7:7). In other words, patience and waiting on God do not equate to passivity. Many times we claim to be “waiting on God” before making a move on a matter, but God has already given permission to simultaneously take action while honoring Him as well.
- Do your attitude and actions show that your soul is submitted to God’s will and resting on His promises? Or are you hell-bent on taking your Christian dating life into your own hands because you fear losing out on that single man or woman?
In addition to the above, have you ever tried, while waiting on God for your soulmate, praying for that person?
HOW TO PRAY While Waiting on God
In Colossians 4:2 it states: Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful-
When waiting on the Lord, Paul gives us several prayer tips.
- Be Devoted-The meaning of the word here (proskartereite) suggests a determination not to give in or give up until you see God move. So let me ask you a question. Have you given up praying for your dating match?
- Be Watchful-The word here (gregoreo), implies that when we pray, we should actually expect God to give us some tangible answer. Imagine that!
- Be Thankful-This last characteristic of prayer implies a step of faith showing thankfulness for future provisions.
Additional Steps to Take while Waiting on God for a Mate: A Christian Approach
- Deepen Your Relationship with God: Use this waiting period to foster your relationship with God. Commit to regular prayer, Bible study, and worship, seeking to understand God’s will for your life.
- Embrace Your Singleness: Recognize that being single is not a deficiency. It’s a season of life that offers unique opportunities for personal and spiritual growth.
- Pray for Discernment: Ask God for wisdom and discernment in recognizing the right person. Pray for your future partner and the relationship you will have.
- Be Active in Your Faith Community: Engage with your church and faith community. Often, these environments foster relationships with like-minded individuals who share your values.
- Seek Godly Counsel: Consult with spiritual leaders, mentors, or trusted fellow believers who can provide insights and encouragement.
- Maintain Godly Standards: Keep your standards aligned with your Christian beliefs, remembering that a relationship should honor God.
- Trust God’s Timing: Have faith that God has a plan for your life, including your romantic relationships. His timing might differ from your own, but it is always perfect.
As you meander through the Christian singles dating scene, remember that waiting on God and taking proactive steps toward your dating goal need not be an either/or proposition. Just make sure as a Christian single, your heart is aligned with God’s every step of the way.
For Christian singles, waiting on God for a mate is not a passive or idle endeavor. It’s an active journey of faith, where trust in God’s plan is paramount.
Through deepening their relationship with God, embracing singleness, praying for discernment, engaging with the faith community, seeking Godly counsel, maintaining Godly standards, and trusting in divine timing, Christian singles can navigate this significant life phase with confidence and grace.
It’s a path that calls for patience, understanding, and unwavering faith, knowing that God’s plan is perfect and that the right relationship will emerge in His perfect time. The process of waiting becomes a transformative experience, molding the individual’s character and preparing the heart for a partnership grounded in Christian values and love.
Are you a non-dating or dating Christian with a comment on waiting on God? Consider helping other Christians by sharing your dating thoughts.