One of the most difficult things for Christian singles interested in dating is waiting on the Lord for that special soulmate. This is especially true as we see our single friends meet their dream date, get married and move on. Loneliness and anxiety starts to creep in as we wonder when God will bless us.
Although King David did not have Christian dating in mind when he wrote Psalms 13, many single people waiting for a mate can certainly identify with his feelings in verse 1: ” How long O Lord? Will you forget me forever?”
Are you a single Christian girl or guy struggling with your faith in the area of “waiting on the Lord” for a husband or wife? Be encouraged and recall that David, whom God described as a man after His own heart, also struggled. Yet, it’s interesting that during the time he wrote Psalms 13, he also penned Psalms 62:1: “My soul waits in silence for God only.” If you read the rest of Psalms 62, you’ll see David could wait upon the Lord because he had a calm, confident expectation that God would do exactly what He promised: He would meet David’s needs.
Recently, I had a single woman come up to me quite confused over the Christian dating issue. Although she wanted so much to be married to a godly man, she was torn over whether using Christian dating services meant she was no longer waiting on God for His provision.
How about you? Are you confused over how you should approach Christian dating and waiting on God? If so, consider these questions to guide your actions and test your heart motives:
- Does God’s word preclude you from taking action toward entering a dating relationship?
- Have you done all that you could do in your particular situation? Remember, God wants us to take faith-filled risks as we ask, seek and knock (Matthew 7:7). In other words, patience and waiting on God does not equate to passivity. Many times we claim to be “waiting on God” before making a move on a matter, but God has already given permission to simultaneously take action while honouring him as well.
- Do your attitude and actions show that your soul is submitted to God’s will and resting on His promises? Or are you hell bent on taking your Christian dating life into your own hands because you fear losing out on that single man or woman?
In addition to the above, have you ever tried, while waiting on God for your soulmate, praying for that person?
HOW TO PRAY While Waiting for Your MATCH
In Colossians 4:2 it states: Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful-
When we waiting on the Lord, Paul gives us several prayer tips.
- Be Devoted-The meaning of the word here (proskartereite) suggests a determination not to give in or give up until you see God move. So let me ask you a question. Have you given up praying for your dating match?
- Be Watchful-The word here (gregoreo), implies that when we pray, we should actually expect God to give us some tangible answer. Imagine that!
- Be Thankful-This last characteristic of prayer implies a step of faith showing thankfulness for future provisions.
As you meander through the Christian singles dating scene, remember that waiting on God and taking proactive steps toward your dating goal need not be an either/or proposition. Just make sure as a Christian single, your heart is aligned with God’s each step of the way.
Are you a non-dating or dating Christian with a comment on waiting on God? Consider helping other Christians by sharing your dating thoughts.