Let’s talk about Masturbation and Christian singles. The M-word and Christian singles. Masturbation and single Christians. Single Christians who masturbate. Male masturbation. Female masturbation. Adolescent masturbation. Chronic masturbation. Christian Singles and Masturbation. I think you get the picture.
There are many Christian single guys who masturbate. There are many Single Christian girls who masturbate. Are you a single person who masturbates?
Christian Masturbation and
I have gotten hundreds of emails and many comments on our site from Single Christians wanting to know about masturbation. In fact, based on the responses we get, single Christians seem more fixated on the topic of Masturbation than any other. Why is this the case? It could be because most pastors appear to avoid straight talk about masturbation at all costs. This is a little ironic, to say the least, when survey after survey reveals a majority of married and single Christians of all different ages (guys and gals) masturbate and suffer intense guilt over it.
Here are just a few of the questions Christian singles of all ages have asked us about masturbation:
-What does the Bible say about masturbation?
-Is it a sin to masturbate?
-Is it okay for a single person to masturbate?
-Is it ok to masturbate as a Christian?
-Can married couples practice masturbation?
-Why do I feel guilty after masturbating?
-If I masturbate without lustful thoughts is ok?
-How do I stop masturbating as a Christian?
The Bible and Masturbation: Understanding from a Single Christian’s Lens
Navigating the waters of masturbation as a single Christian is a sticky issue that requires discernment, understanding, and a genuine quest for truth. While the Bible doesn’t mention the act of masturbation directly, it does provide guiding principles on sexual purity and self-control. This section dives into what the Scriptures indirectly teach on the subject, and how a single Christian can understand this within the broader context of biblical sexuality.
The Absence of Direct Mention
First and foremost, it’s essential to understand that the Bible does not explicitly mention masturbation. Therefore, any perspective is derived from broader biblical principles surrounding sexual behavior and desires.
Sexual Morality and Purity
The Bible emphasizes sexual purity in several scriptures. For instance, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 states: “It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God.”
Here, the focus is on avoiding sexual immorality and controlling one’s body honorably. While masturbation isn’t directly mentioned, the idea is to manage one’s sexual desires in a manner aligned with God’s teachings.
Jesus addresses the topic of lust in Matthew 5:28, saying, “But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” If masturbation is accompanied by lustful fantasies or consumption of pornography, it can be seen as conflicting with Jesus’ teachings about lust.
Self-Control and Mastery Over the Body
Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 9:27, “But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.” This scripture underscores the importance of self-control and mastery over one’s desires.
Grace and Personal Conviction
Romans 14 speaks about personal convictions and not causing another to stumble. It suggests that individuals may have personal convictions that others do not share. A single Christian might feel convicted that masturbation is not right for them, while another may not feel the same way. It’s essential to be sensitive and not impose personal convictions on others.
Seeking Guidance and Wisdom about Masturbation
For single Christians grappling with the question of masturbation:
- Prayer: Seeking God’s guidance through prayer can provide clarity and peace about personal decisions.
- Biblical Counseling: Speaking with trusted Christian counselors, spiritual leaders or mentors can offer wisdom based on the scriptures.
- Community: Engaging in open, non-judgmental discussions with fellow believers can provide insights and different perspectives.
Masturbation and Christian Singles Struggles
As a Christian single, just what are your feelings about masturbation? Are you a masturbator? Do you struggle because you feel it is morally wrong? Do you live in guilt and confusion over the whole issue?
Personally, I can’t stand it when Christian teachers and churches are so dogmatic on the “rights” and “wrongs” of masturbatory activities because it’s such a complex issue, with many different contingencies connected to the practice. So I’ll try to leave my preaching in the pulpit as I hand out from my heart some observations about masturbation and Christians who practice it. I’ll also be sharing some Scriptures in conjunction with what we already wrote about above to help guide you through this sensitive, sticky issue.
Masturbation and Christian Singles Observations
- Masturbation in the Bible. The Bible is silent on the specific issue of masturbation even though the vast majority of humankind is preoccupied with it.
- The Roman Catholic Church, some Protestant denominations and even Webster’s Dictionary have attempted to equate the sin of Onan (Genesis 38:6-10) with masturbation, but a simple exegesis of these passages precludes this possibility. You see, under Jewish law, a person was required to procreate with his brother’s widow. When Onan refused out of selfishness, the Lord killed him. The bottom line here? God did not whack Onan for whacking off, but rather for “spilling his seed” by ejaculating outside of his dead brother’s wife during sexual intercourse.
- Many Christian singles and not a few Christian pastors feel masturbation to orgasm is acceptable in order to: 1) relieve unabated sexual tension, and/or 2) to avoid sexual immorality. The catch is that there should be no lustful thoughts connected to the act.
- Regarding masturbation and Christian singles, the vast majority of single Christians feel that compulsive masturbation, simply for the purpose of self gratification, is always wrong. Most would also agree that habitual masturbation while single will make it harder for any future spouse to please them sexually.
Notwithstanding the above points, let the following paraphrased verses guide you, a single person as you pray and seek the Lord over whether masturbating should have any room in your life as a single person:
- Matthew 5:28– Looking lustily at a woman (or a man if you’re a woman) means you are committing adultery in your heart.
- 1 Corinthians 6:12- All things are lawful for you, but not all things are profitable.
- 1 Corinthians 6:19,20– Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and so you should glorify God with it.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:4,5– You should learn to control your body in a holy and honourable way, not in passionate lust like the heathens.
- 2 Peter 2:19– You are a slave to whatever has mastered you.
- James 4:17– If you know you should do something, but fail to do it, it’s sin.
If you are a Christian who is really beating yourself up over the issue of masturbation, or are struggling with sexual impurity, remember that Jesus offers forgiveness (1 John 1:9) you and loves you where you are. Repent and move on in peace! Also consider the words of James Dobson of Focus on the Family regarding masturbation and Christian singles:
“It is my opinion that masturbation is not much of an issue with God. It does not cause disease. It does not produce babies, and Jesus did not mention it in the Bible. I’m not telling you to masturbate, and I hope you won’t feel the need for it. But if you do, it is my opinion that you should not struggle with guilt over it.”
singles and masturbation final thoughts
Masturbation, from a single Christian’s perspective, remains a nuanced topic due to its indirect mention in the Bible. The key is to approach the subject with humility, seeking understanding from the scriptures, and being open to God’s guidance. While the Bible provides foundational principles on sexual morality, it’s up to each believer to interpret and apply these teachings to their personal journey with grace and discernment.
So what are your thoughts on masturbation and Christian singles?
Related to Masturbation and Christian Singles:
Top Christian Singles Categories